About Me

My photo
Reno, NV, United States

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Whole Foods Running School Half Marathon

Cruised over to Roseville with Slowrunner77 & Turi for a Half-Marathon.  While I didn't feel as good as last week, I felt confident in my training and diet that I might get a good run in.  One change I made -- I seeded myself to the front.  For the past two years, I've lined up in back and wasted way too much energy passing runners with mp3 players on that can't follow a straight line.  Today I got up front and held my lines without getting in any one's way.  I took off and made sure I didn't pass anybody and hit the first mile in 8:36 -- bad move.  I relaxed and ran slower but realized I had good footspeed so I let it go,  The course wasn't flat but I still hit 10k in the low 55's.  I still felt good and knew I'd make my goal of sub-2:10, so I calculated new goals.  A sub 2-hr looked possible and a sub 2:05 probable.  I focused on hydration and kept going.  Unfortunately, just past the 10 mile mark, I came to an overpass and it broke me.  I ended up walking and never got dialed back in.  I crossed the finis at 2:06:31 -- 14 seconds from a PR (set in 2002).

3 comments:

Turi Becker said...

Man, you looked good when we saw you on the out ad back sections. Stupid overpass.

SnowLeopard said...

Nice Dave! I'm so glad that you're in such great shape that you came within 14 seconds of your PR! Wish I could have been there to run with you~

HiAltDawg said...

I know; I snapped two pictures of the overpass to hang up as motivational tools the next thirteen days. Not a fan of letting a course break me.